10.27.2009

le sigh

I think it's finally happened. I can't say I'm surprised, given that anyone around me would agree that perhaps, just maybe, I read too much. Not that they would say it really, but I get smirks and glances when I settle down for a few stolen moments with a good book. And a few stolen hours in the evening. And during the day too, if Birdy is taking a nap. But anyway.

I think I may have reached the point in my life where I might have read too much. In particular, I might have reached critcial mass with historical fiction.

This is Birdy, eating her cheese and "bapples" for lunch, a la my Grandpa Bill.
See the nice plant in the right of the picture? It's a good plant. It's from Ikea. It also has had fruit flies in it for the last month, regardless of what I've threatened or done to them. But this time, at this lunch, I'd had enough.

So. I got out a toothpick (you know, like a pike).

And then I killed a fruit fly (which I thought about beheading, but realized that I didn't have the precision instruments to do so).

And then I put his body on the toothpick. As a warning to his friends and comrades that their time is numbered.

I'll just be over here, thinking about the things I've done. Don't mind me.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wendy said...

wowza...I read THIS post, which made me laugh...and then I scrolled down and read the post about your grandpa, which was touching and real and honest and made me cry. Sincerely, thanks for the emotional rollercoaster. That is why i keep coming back to your blog. --Wendy (formerly of Paper Pals...)

mommyneedsanap said...

Are you sure they are fruit flies? I don't mean to doubt, but could they be aphids? Only crazy non-Washington, kooky California aphids? If so, my suggestion would be to squeeze the juice from two lemons, pour it into a sauce pan with some water, toss in the lemon rinds, bring it to a boil, let it cool then put the "tea" into a squeeze bottle. Spray away--it won't hurt the plant but the acid from the lemon juice...well, let's just say it's not so good on the buggers bodies.
Good luck!