8.28.2012

this beer's for you, ben

Benjamin Franklin once said that "beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." This is also coming from the man who would walk around naked to "air bathe" and also sent a key attached to kite to learn something about lightening. Further, Wikipedia tells me that Mr. Franklin was the sixth president of Pennsylvania (I learned to spell that when I was seven--proof the Pennsylvania school system works). While I love beer very much, and kites and nudity have their place, I would say that day care is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

I love Birdy. I do. But do you know what else I love? Uninterrupted time to do whatever I want or need. Oh, the bathroom needs to be cleaned? Reorganize a book shelf? Go to the Y and work out? Catch up on all the True Blood episodes I missed over the summer? Have those Morningstar Farms fake corndogs and share them with nobody? Why yes, please, I'd like to do any of the above on either Monday, Wednesday, or Friday.

BECAUSE DAY CARE HAS STARTED MY FRIENDS, AND I'M LIVING THE DREAM.

I've forgotten what its like to live with no one else (mostly because I've always lived with someone else). I feel like I have so much time on my hands. The closest thing I can think of that is similar was when Birdy was taking two naps a day. I felt like there was time for everything, all day every day.

Also, and I say this with love in my heart, but Birdy is driving me nuts. I also drive her nuts.  I don't have to constantly be answering "Why?" questions, I don't have to find a way to not play with Barbies or My Little Pony, there is no one asking to watch Blue's Clues or Wonder Pets. My house is silent. If there is noise, I make it. If the television is on, it's something I want to watch. And I have to share my vegetarian corn dogs with no one. Unless I want to (and I don't. Ever.). For Birdy, there are small humans to play with, play-doh to roll, books to read, a playground to explore, and hermit crabs to stare at for seconds at a time. We both win.

So thank you God and Jesus, for day care and for the people who work there. Thank you for my job and the Hoosband's job who make this possible. And thank you for Birdy, and her brain that will be filled with fun things three days a week from 8-5.

And thank you for my quiet house.

And those corn dogs. Mostly the corn dogs.

2 comments:

Kp said...

I'm very happy for you. I type that with all the sincerity in the world. But if I'm honest, this post did a lot more for making me want corn dogs. They sound delicious.

mommyneedsanap said...

God I love those corn dogs!