1.21.2009

indicators

The following are signs I am getting to be a real mom:

1. Birdy is getting a new tooth. How do I know, you ask...there seems to be no new tooth showing. But ah-ha, loyal reader. I was sticking my finger in her mouth a few nights back and found the tippy tip of a tooth. The very tippy tip, you could call it a fraction of a nubbin of tooth. Needless to say, I called my parents right after I called Brandon, which was right after I found it.
2. I am getting better at this waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing. It's not good, but it isn't bad. Like purgatory.
3. I let her cry when she is tired and in her crib. It builds character.
4. I love being with Birdy.
5. I have a cute picture of Birdy in my office in her little viking hat.
6. For 90% of the time, she is amazingly well-behaved and sweet.
7. Birdy is one of the main reasons I'm trying to lose weight. I want to be a better person because of her.
8. She doesn't mind if I swear in front of her after stubbing my toe.
9. I give her baths all the time.

The following are signs I still don't get how to be a good mom:

1. I stick my hand in Birdy's mouth to search for teeth. Ick.
2. I hate getting up in the mornings, even when I'm greeted by Birdy's smiling face.
3. I let her cry when she is tired and in her crib. It builds character?
4. I really like taking breaks from Birdy.
5. The only picture I have of Birdy near my desk is from 4 months ago. She looks totally different now.
6. I take advantage of how easy-going she is. Oops.
7. She isn't that much a motivator, since I have been eating like a horse this past week.
8. I'm teaching her to swear when she stubs her toe.
9. I bathe her in the sink so I don't have to clean the tub all the time. She's going to get sink baths for a long time to come...which might jeopardize her ability to make friends, since no one wants to be friends with the 12 year old who still gets sink baths.

No comments: